Adverb Clause adalah klausa yang berfungsi sebagai adverbia. Adverb clause dimulai dengan konjungsi yang tergolong dalam subordinating conjunctions.
Macam-macam adverb clauses:
1. Adverb clause of time (Klausa adverbia yang menyatakan waktu)
When I was reading an English book, my friend came.
I’ll tell you as soon as I know.
You may play after you have finished doing your homework.
They’ve moved house four times since they got married.
I’ll wait for you here till you get back.
2. Adverb clause of place (Klausa adverbia yang menyatakan tempat)
You may go wherever you like.
Wherever you are, I’ll be able to find you.
I’ll go where I can find true happiness.
3. Adverb clause of reason ((Klausa adverbia yang menyatakan alasan)
Rani doesn’t go to school because she is sick.
Since it’s raining so heavily, I can’t go out.
As I wasn’t there, I didn’t know what had happened.
4. Adverb clause of manner (Klausa adverbia yang menyatakan cara)
Do as I ask you to do.
The braggart talks as if he knew everything.
He behaves as though he owned the place.
5. Adverb clause of contrast/concession (Klausa adverbia yang menyatakan pertentangan)
He is still poor although he has worked so hard.
Even though I don’t have much money, I will try to help him.
No matter what you do, don’t press this button.
6. Adverb clause of condition (Klausa adverbia yang menyatakan syarat)
You’ll succeed if you do your best.
If I were a bird, I would fly.
You won’t be rich unless you work hard.
You can borrow my book provided you return it soon.
7. Adverb clause of result (Klausa adverbia yang menyatakan akibat)
She is so short that she can’t become a stewardess.
She studies so hard that she is successful in her study.
Mr. Hasan spoke for such a long time that people began to fall asleep.
Susan takes a computer lesson in order that she can get a job easily.
People eat nutritious food so that they will keep healthy.
She puts the milk in the refrigerator so that it doesn’t spoil.
9. Adverb clause of comparison (Klausa adverbia yang menyatakan perbandingan)
Johan can speak English as fluently as his teacher.
He works harder than he can.
An elephant is stronger than a rabbit.